Postgraduate Diploma in e-Governance
In 2009, IIITM-K launched a Post-graduate Diploma in e-Governance (PGDeG) to fulfill its mission to mould leaders in the areas of science, technology and management. PGDeG was directed at employees of government departments, public sector undertakings and organisations providing IT services to government bodies. The programme supported by the Government of Kerala, aims to develop professionals with a holistic view of e-governance. Those who obtain this post graduate diploma will acquire the skills, knowledge, perspective and leadership qualities needed to orchestrate complex e-governance projects in a systematic and disciplined manner. This post graduate diploma programme, an initiative of IIITM-K and the Institute of Management in Government (IMG), is a well-conceived response to address the Capacity Building in the area of e-Governance. The Government of Kerala proposed this programme based on the recommendation of the Administrative Reforms Commission, to mould trained professionals to implement and manage e-Governance projects in a disciplined manner.
The programme will also go a long way in addressing the growing need of the leading IT companies and multinational consultants, who are looking to harness the latest information and communication technologies to transform themselves and align their services with the changing needs of citizens and stakeholders. This need will translate into increased levels of activity in the area of e-governance.
This year, post graduate diploma programme is open to government officials from other states as well as to candidates from across the nation. The participants will receive a quality education that incorporates state-of-the-art technology with sound management techniques, and our post graduate diploma will place them in a different league, both personally and professionally.
In the present age of rising aspirations and expectations of people, the thrust of the Governments all over the world has been to provide good governance for peace, prosperity, growth and dignified life to its citizens.
In India, the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) envisioned to make all Government services accessible to the common man in his locality and to ensure efficiency, transparency & reliability of such services at affordable costs to realise the basic needs of the common man.
“Digital India” the flagship programme of Government of India to transform India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy has transformed the way the citizens and business transact with the Government.
The Governments at the central and state levels envisage “e-Governance of the Future” by adopting disruptive technologies in Government. This requires capacity building in Government, both to design and implement future Governance. The PGDeG curriculum is designed from the conceptual building blocks of e-Governance to the usage and adoption of disruptive technologies for Government.
- Generating human resources with the right skills, knowledge, aptitude and leadership qualities for effective implementation of e-Governance Projects.
- Conceptualisation of ideas and development of service delivery models for improving the quality of service to citizen.
- To broaden the scope of e-Governance in the State through various sectors and services.
- To enhance the effectiveness of the e-Governance programmes by integrating state-ofthe- art technologies and management.
- Curriculum is designed carefully by eminent academicians, senior officials from Government and IT industry, covering basic and advanced levels of relevant fields.
- Faculty members are drawn from leading organizations and academic institutions, who are experts in the subject.
- Study tours for the participants to familiarise with e-Governance projects in other states.
- Live Exposure to Core IT Infrastructure and Mission Mode Projects
- Hands on experience on designing and procurement of e-Governance projects through the State Nodal Agency – Kerala State IT Mission.
- Hands on experience on department demand mapping to Startups
- Participants have to develop Case studies in e-Governance
- Supported with Learning Management System, Digital Library, Multimedia based video lectures, and other collaboration tools to enhance the quality of teaching and learning.
- Students are provided with 24 x 7 lab with high-end network infrastructure, high speed internet bandwidth and quality software services
- Wi-Fi campus with high-end computing infrastructure.
Governments at the Central and State levels are on the processes of planning and implementing Digital Transformation projects. Indian IT Industry plays a major role in consulting and implementation of these projects. The candidates with knowledge and skill sets in e-Governance could find promising opportunities in Industry and Implementation Agencies.
IIITM-K has conceptualized, designed and implemented various e-Governance projects for State and Central Government organisations. State Planning Board, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry departments, ICAR, Land Use Board, Rubber Board are some of the government projects implemented by IIITM-K. IIITM-K also provides consultancy services to various government departments.
Entry-level requirement for the programme is a Bachelors degree in any discipline with working knowledge of computer systems. Diploma / Certification in computer application will be an added advantage. Preference will be given to B.Tech / MBA / MCA degree holders.
Category of Students
The total intake of the programme is 45 of which 20 are from open quota, 15 are reserved for Kerala Government officials and 10 for sponsored candidates from other governments. Open category SC and ST applicants will be eligible for reservation as per Government Rules.
Kerala Government Departments
- Kerala Government Departments can nominate maximum three candidates to the Director Kerala State IT Mission
- Age limit is 45 years as on 01st January, 2019.
- Departmental Candidates are first short listed based on their profiles and final selection is made through test and interview.
- The department shall forward the NOC for deputation for one year
Central Government, other State Governments, Public Sector Undertakings and Private Organisations could sponsor their employees through proper channel.
Eligible candidates from open category are selected through competitive entrance examination followed by an interview.
Post Graduate Diploma in e-Governance (PGDeG) is awarded by Directorate of Technical Education, Government of Kerala.
All the core and visiting faculty members of the programme have been carefully chosen from Academia, Industry and the Government based on their relevant experience, commitment and instructional ability so that the students are exposed to the best learning environment. Besides this, the Institute has several competent senior academic and technical staff with considerable experience in the design, development and management of ICT and e-Governance projects also supports the academic and training programmes
Government of Kerala Employees – Sponsored by the Government
Open, Sponsored by Industry / PSU and other Government candidates: Rs. 1,00,000/-
- Introduction to Information Technology
- Information Security
- Software Engineering and Enterprise Architecture
- Introduction to e-Governance and Digital Transformation
- Research Methodology and Analytics in Government
- Principles of Information System Management
- Service Delivery Improvement & Government Process Re-engineering
- e-Governance Project Management
- Transactional Services
- Financial Management and Policy Framework for e-Governance
- Designing of e-Governance Projects and Public Private Partnership
- Recent Developments in Technology and Governance
- Systems and Network Administration
- Advance Cyber Security
- Problem Solving and Principles of Programming
- Introduction to Full Stack
- Geo-spatial Technology Applications
- e-Governance Standards and Frameworks
- Big Data Analytics and Business Intelligence in Government
- Digital Marketing, Citizen Engagement and Social Media Optimization
Internship / Project
- Two weeks Study Tour to learn Other States’ e-Governance Projects at the end of first semester
- Two weeks case study on e-Governance project design and procurement (Preparation of DPR, RFP, Evaluation of Bids, etc) in second semester
- Two months internship on live projects in second semester
- Soft skills
- Leadership skills
- Innovation in Government
- Internationally Recognized Certifications
- Case Study Development
Applications of Kerala Government Departmental candidates have to be nominated through proper channel to:
The Director Kerala State IT Mission, ICT Campus, Vellayambalam, Thiruvananthapuram – 695033
All other category candidates have to submit the Application to:
The Director, Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management – Kerala, IIITM-K Building, Technopark Campus, Karyavattom PO, Thiruvananthapuram – 695581
Programme Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org Mob: 9846229300
Last date of Receiving Application:
- Govt of Kerala candidates: 04 May 2019 at KSITM
- Open, other Govt. and Sponsored candidates: 18 May 2019 at IIITM-K