Started in 2000 as section 25 (Now section 8) company as an autonomous institute and operated in a rented premises till 2011. Moved to own facility in 2011 inside Technopark, Thiruvananthapuram. IIITM-K has established as a nationally recognized brand (Google Ranking)
- Alumni (PGDIT and MSc) holding commendable positions in IT industry
- Near 90% placements for our PG programmes in multinational companies and prestigious research organizations.
- Unique post graduate level academic programs in Geo-informatics, Information Security, Computational Sciences, Eco-informatics, etc.
- Our programmes cater to the lower and middleclass sections of the society. These students get high opportunity to excel in their career. Through mentoring by faculty members the students get an opportunity to work in world class industries or research organizations of repute.
- Like other institutes of national importance (like IITs, IIMs) IIITM-K students are availing scholarships awarded by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Govt. of India
- About 60% of the students are girls
- IIITM-K brand is able to attract students across India because of high national and international visibility.
- Nationally recognized unique academic program in e-Governance
- UNESCO recognized efforts in Trans-disciplinary academic programs in Ecological Informatics
- Student Exchange Programs with three International universities (Hannover, Stuttgart, and Offenberg Universities , Germany) during 2012-2013.
- World class learning facility with digital library, multimedia and e-learning capabilities. IIITM-K has played a major role in enhancing capabilities in e-learning in the education sector in the state.
- Produced 200 publications in nationally/internationally reputed journals/conferences in the recent past.
- Research collaborations with Sri Chitra Institute of Medical Sciences and Regional Cancer Centre.
- Corporate entities like IBM, TCS, Intel, Sun (Now Oracle), GE has associated with IIIT M-K through university relations / research programmes
- Multiple research projects from central government agencies such as DIT, DST ,etc.
- Multi crore projects including start-up village sanctioned by DeITY, Govt. of India.
- State of the art unique lab facilities at par with IITs in Data Engineering, NLP, IoT (upcoming), GIS, Agri- informatics, Ecological Informatics, Computer Aided Drug Design, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Embedded Systems, Information Security, Medical Imaging catering students from all over India. These facilities were set up through various research collaborations and funding.
- 35 PhD students working with IIITM-K faculty
- 42 funded socially relevant projects from Governmental and Non-governmental organizations
- Our faculty members are actively involved in strategizing planning and implementing several initiatives (for eg., for Agriculture, Higher Education Depts.) in e-Governance for the state.
- Well recognized contributions in the field of IT applications in agriculture (KISSAN, Soil Health, Pest Surveillance, etc.)
- Pioneering efforts in Geo-informatics for good governance (Land Resource Information System, livestock disease mapping)
- Many capacity building programs for governmental and corporate organizations (Virtual IT cadre, Police Department, Higher Education Dept, Irrigation Dept., etc.
- Organized several national and international workshops and conferences
- Bagged several national awards for various projects in cloud computing, language computing, e-Governance, etc.