Dr. John Eric Steephen is an Assistant Professor at IIITM-K. He has over 10 years of industry and research experience. He has held post-doctoral positions at the Centre for Neural and Cognitive Sciences, University of Hyderabad and Kohli Centre on Intelligent Systems, IIIT Hyderabad. He has published papers in the areas of affective computing, computational neuroscience and experimental psychology in internationally well-respected journals. He teaches programming courses such as Problem Solving and Programming in C and Object Oriented Programming for the post-graduate programs of the institute.
- Ph.D in Computational Neuroscience, IIT Bombay, 2011.
- M.Tech in Biomedical Engineering, IIT Bombay, 2004.
- B.Tech in Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering, College of Engineering, Trivandrum, 1996.
- Affective Computing
- Cognitive Science
- Computational Neuroscience
His primary research focus is the development of a series of computational models of emotion (called the HED series) that explore, explain and simulate how the interplay of various event-related and other factors influence and shape emotional responses. The models not only enhance our understanding of human emotions, but also have potential applications in HCI, virtual reality training, games, robotics and anywhere affectively intelligent agents are required.
- Exploration of affective dynamics using computational and empirical approaches, funded by DST, 2014-2017, Rs.17,78,667/-.
- A computational model of temporal dynamics of subjective experience of emotions, funded by DST, 2011-2014, Rs.12,48,000/-.
- Senior Research Scientist, Cognitive Science Lab, Kohli Center on Intelligent Systems, IIIT Hyderabad, 2016 – 2017.
- DST-CSI Post-Doctoral Fellow, Cognitive Science Lab, Kohli Center on Intelligent Systems, IIIT Hyderabad, 2014 – 2016.
- DST-CSI Post-Doctoral Fellow, Centre for Neural and Cognitive Sciences, University of Hyderabad, 2011 – 2014.
- Research Associate, Computational Neuroscience lab, Dept of Biosciences & Bioengineering, IIT Bombay, 2010 – 2011.
- Senior Software Engineer, SDI Tech Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai and Cleverlearn.com GmBH, Munich, Germany, 2000 – 2002.
- Software Engineer, ICE Software, CSEZ, Cochin, 1998 – 2000.
- STEEPHEN (JE), OBBINENI (SC), KUMMETHA (S), SURAMPUDI (BR), An Affective Adaptation Model Explaining the Intensity-Duration Relationship of Emotion IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing (in press) 2018
- STEEPHEN (JE), MEHTA (SR), SURAMPUDI (BR), Do We Expect Women to Look Happier Than They Are? A Test of Gender-Dependent Perceptual Correction, Perception, 47(2):232-235; Feb 2018