The institute has undertaken several projects, namely Kerala Education Grid, Karshaka Information Systems, Services And Networking (KISSAN), Computational Chemistry portal, AKM India and ILCI among others.
Karshaka Information Systems, Services And Networking (KISSAN)
Pilot Tele-health and Medical Informatics Initiatives:
These are being established as major projects and services jointly with the Sri Chitra Tirunal Institute, Trivandrum Medical College and the local Medical College Hospital. The Tele-health project will cover the Lakshadweep Islands and the whole of Kerala in stages by linking select primary and secondary healthcare centres. [ more about Tele Health]
Advanced POLICE Portal for Community Interaction
This is a collaborative project between Trivandrum City Police and IIITM-K. The concept of Police-Citizen Interaction Portal rests on the belief that solutions to today's community problems demand freeing both people and the police to explore creative, new ways through appropriate application of ICT to address neighborhood concerns beyond a narrow focus on conventional policing. This project also envisages establishing computer connectivity of police offices under city police commissioner. In the proposed model, TCP plans to work closely with the community through participation of the city's Resident Associations [RAs] of Trivandrum City facilitated by the Portal. The portal will serve as a mechanism for effective asynchronous interaction and e-learning facility added to the current regular meetings. For further details, visit www.tvmcitypolice.org
Computational Chemistry portal
- This portal aims at bringing Chemistry and Chemists together.
- Help to work in frontier areas in chemistry through interaction with world-class experts and web accessed resources in order to build Quality education in Chemistry interactively from basic to graduates,post graduates and research levels.
- Enable computation in chemistry through grid access to open source software and high end computers spread across universities and institutions.
Agriculture is and will continue to be the main driver of country’s economic growth with social justice. Our agriculture did extremely well and it was on the ascendancy till the mid nineties but after that the growth slowed down. Since 1996-97 the growth rate of agricultural GDP has been, on an average, 1.75 % per year in contrast with the rate of 4% that is required. On the other hand the farmer has been facing rising input costs, declining returns from the inputs, uncertain market, increasing role of market in agriculture and blurring of distinction between the domestic market and the international market. To assist the farmer in these changing contexts new strategies and innovative solutions are urgently required which in turn will require technological support. Hence the agricultural research system which generates technologies, has to conduct the business of agricultural research in an innovative way. The World Bank aided National Agricultural Innovation Project (NAIP) has been conceived to pilot this innovation in conducting agricultural research. More details: http://www.akmindia.in/
Indian Language Consortia Initiative (ILCI) project
Other Turnkey Projects
Knowledge Management Portal for ADA, Bangalore
This aim of the project was to create a knowledge management and enterprise services environment for Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) Bangalore. ADA is one of the leading users of IT in all its functions -from design, group work, documentation, CAD, CAE, CAM, mathematical modeling and analysis, information processing and even routine office functions.
The whole project was implemented in the following phases:
(1) System Study & customization of the Knowledge Management (KM) Portal
(2) Installation of KM Portal along with Video Streaming server
(3) Developer Training
(4) Orientation Training for the users
The project has been completed and the portal is in operation at ADA, Bangalore.
Virtual Campus Network for RRL, Thiruvananthapuram (RRL-T)
IIITM-K started a project with Regional Research Laboratory (CSIR) Trivandrum, for "Enabling RRL-T to create a `Virtual Campus' in info transactions / handling processes to support better R&D." This project was to be executed in two phases. Consultancy is being provided for campus wide networking and maintenance services. A preliminary systems study and network study has been conducted. A demo server for Intra-Lab communication has been installed at RRL. Information resources uploading and customization is going on. An orientation programme for the Administrators, heads of the departments in RRL-T has been completed.
Satellite based Data casting across Kerala
IIITM-K jointly with WorldSpace has successfully conducted demonstration of satellite-based data casting for agriculture across 8 districts in Kerala for the period of one month. This demonstration has been conducted in collaboration with WorldSpace (the world renowned satellite data casting services provider) and the project was approved and funded by the Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of Kerala. During the one-month the demonstration team could visit and cover a large number of people across the state and gathered a good feedback. The targeted end users of this demonstration were farmers at Krishi Bhavans and various agricultural officials. During this demonstration we have covered around 400-500 farmers and other department officials. A detailed report on the observations and findings during the demonstration has been submitted to the Agriculture department.
In all these districts the same demonstration has been set up for the other sectors like education and health. The target users were the teachers and doctors. For the educational sectors we have covered a number of educational institutions and in the health sector we have covered a number of hospitals, public health hospitals and other offices like Indian Medical Association etc.
Knowledge Management System for TCMC
Travancore Cochin Medical Council (TCMC) was enacted as a part of Medical council of India. IIITM-K has executed a consultancy project on establishing a knowledge Management systems for Travancore Medical Council (TCMC) which includes deployment of a smart portal catering to the collaboration needs of the Kerala Medical Council and computerization of the Council Facilities. The second phase of the project include developing various databases.
This phase aims to establish an advanced medical council portal, continuing medical education and medical awareness information dissimilation and digital library facilities for Travancore Medical Council, Kerala; Kerala Dental Council (KDC), and Kerala Nursing Council(KNC), Trivandrum. This will create knowledge Management and enterprise services environment for TCMC, KDC, and KNC.
Preventive Healthcare System for Ojus Health Care, Bangalore
The project aims at designing and developing an e-Health Product for Ojus Healthcare, which enables a common platform for the doctors, patients and other stakeholders of the product like healthcare departments, drug vendors, healthcare specialist, hospitals etc to deliver quality healthcare through value added services by sharing information and utilizing the avenues of latest Information Technology advances. This is a Web based preventive healthcare information system to attain an optimum level of mental and physical fitness.
The institute has been a pioneer in conceptualizing, developing, implementing, commissioning and servicing some of country’s well recognized IT initiatives in Education, Agriculture and E-Governance applications and its services. Thus it has already established linkages with the scientific and academic community. Being situated in the Technopark campus, IIITM-K has also linkages with the IT industry and some of the visiting faculty are drawn from among the IT professionals working in the companies of Technopark. The institute has been working on several advanced research oriented projects on applied informatics areas and developed several such advanced information systems for various domains. Some of the major collaborations on education and research are summarized below.
• IIITM-K is a partnering Institution with European Research & Educational collaboration with Asia (EURECA) Project, funded by the European commission, which aims to establish a Eurasian academic mobility Network, for achieving excellence in research and education in a global context, by identifying key themes for cooperation, leveraging on the complementary competencies and providing synergies essential for the progress and mutual benefit of the targeted Asian countries as well as the European Union. The consortium comprises of 16 prominent educational institutions (9 from Europe and 7 from Asia including IIITM-K). 6 PGD-IT students and 3 faculty / staff of IIITM-K are selected for the Eureca mobility programme during the current year. IIITM-K is the only Govt academic institute selected for the Eureca mobility program from Kerala along with other leading national institutions like IIT Kanpur, Amrita institute of Technology, XLRI etc.
• The Kerala EduGrid is a project of Higher Education Department of Kerala Government, implemented by IIITM-K to establish the Education Grid infrastructure in the engineering colleges across the state to provide quality education to all the students of higher education in the State. Education Grid is both architecture and management over the Internet of structured Web-enabled services within and across institutions that provides for disciplined information, interaction and collaboration between teachers, learners and education administrators.
• IIITMK has joined hands with the Indian Institute of Science, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing and the French Institute of Pondicherry for establishing a “School of Eco-informatics” at IIITMK. An advisory group has been formed with eminent persons drawn from JNU, IISc. IIRS, FRP, TBGRI, with Vice Chairman Planning Board, Kerala as Chairman of the Group to take the initiative forward.
• IIITM-K has signed an MOU with STUTTGART University, Germany to work together in research and teaching areas of geoinformatics and allied areas. STUTTGART UNIVERSITY has already offered scholarship to one of the student from IIITM-K to undertake a project on Geo Informatics area with them. Several academic exchange programs are being worked out with STUTTGART University.
• IIITMK has been chosen as an Institute of excellence by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India for grant of scholarship to SC/ST students for pursuing PGDIT programme of two year duration at IIITMK. As per the scholarship, 10 students from SC category and 5 students from ST category get full scholarship for this course.
• The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Govt. of India has recognized IIITM-K as a leading technology institute for undertaking various potential research oriented Agri-Informatics activities of the institute. ICAR has invited IIITM-K as a major technology partner to develop and implement various agricultural information systems under National Agricultural innovation Project (NAIP). IIITM-Kerala is one of the collaborating institutes along with IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Bombay, NAARM, GBPUAT, UASDharwad, and ICRISAT to implement this project in the country. The objective of the project is to build, demonstrate and sustain a model agricultural knowledge organization and system in support of extension in India. The project is expected to result in significant enhancement of capacity among agricultural experts at various levels in the refinement and management of new knowledge flows and platforms.
• Department of Information Technology (DIT), Govt. of India has assigned IIITM-K with the task of developing and implementing various research and academic programs in Information Security. It includes, (1) Developing a curriculum on Introduction to Information Security, (2) Various training programs for system administrators and professionals. (3)Train Government Officers – Center and State, on Information Security issues i.e. computer networking, cyber hygiene, data security etc., (4) Bring Information Security Awareness in the country and (5) Start Education Exchange Programme.
• IIITM-K is a partner for the INDIAN LANGUAGE CONSORTIA INITIATIVE (ILCI) by Department of Information Technology, Government of India. The project involves building annotated parallel corpora with standards and tools for 12 major Indian Languages including English, 8 Indo Aryan languages (Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Bangla, Oriya, Gujrati, Marathi and Konkani) and 3 Dravidian languages (Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam) in the domain of tourism and health. IIITM-K is assigned for the work of Malayalam Language and other 10 centres involved are JNU for overall coordination, ISI Kolkata, Utkal University-Orissa, IIT Mumbai, Gujarat University- Ahemedbad, Goa University, Dravidian University-AP, Tamil University-TN and Punjab University. This would benefit the state and the country for developing number of Natural Language Processing (NLP) application and also to prepare the corpora for ready-to use form for Malayalam Dictionary, Thesaurus, Grammar Checking, Annotation, tagging and parsing, Malayalam Editors, and Browsers.
• IIITM-K is the official technology partner in implementing various ICT oriented information systems and solutions to Department of Agriculture, Government of Kerala. The Department has assigned IIITM-K for the development and implementation of Karshaka Information Systems, Services and Networking (KISSAN Kerala) project in the entire state. KISSAN is an integrated, multi-modal ICT oriented agricultural information system, conceived, developed and managed by IIITM-K for the Department of Agriculture, Govt. of Kerala. This is the first project in the country where the multi-modal delivery of agriculture information services through interactive portal, television, mobile and telephonic advisory services for the farming community. This project has won several regional and national awards for its unique architecture and service delivery.
• IIITM-K has been collaborating with Kerala Agricultural University for the implementation of a project on Virtual University for Agricultural Trade (VUAT) project of Government of Kerala which is a consortium of state and central agencies as per the recommendations of the Commission on WTO Concerns in Agriculture headed by Prof. M.S. Swaminathan. E-Krishi is a collaborative project between IIITMK and IT Mission Kerala funded by UNDP. IIITMK is the technology and management service provider to the project. The objective of the project is to provide a common platform for farmers or agriculture producers to advertise their produces and buyers to post their requirements.
• Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India has awarded the fast track young scientist project for IIITM-K on the domain of computational chemistry. Kerala State Council for Science Technology ad Environment (KSCSTE) awarded IIITM-K a research project on Computational Chemistry
• IIITM-K is the official academic collaborator with Indira Gandhi National Open University in offering a Web based course on Computational Chemistry at the post graduate level.
• UNESCO Post Doctoral Fellowship has been awarded to IIITM-K Faculty for his concept on ‘Global Biodiversity Hotspots’. IIITM-K is a member of the International Steering Committee of ISIS, (ICCI) constituted by UNESCO, Paris. This Steering committee accredited by UNESCO, will assist and collaborate with BIREME, UNESCO and the ISIS Software Developers, user community etc.