Post Graduate Diploma in e-Governance (PGDeG) Programme
In the present age of rising aspirations and expectations of people, the thrust of the Governments all over the world has been to provide good governance for peace, prosperity, growth and dignified life to it's citizens. According to UNESCO "e-Governance is the public sector's use of information and communication technologies with the aim of improving information and service delivery, encouraging citizen participation in the decision-making process and making government more accountable, transparent and effective". In India, the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) envisioned to make all Government services accessible to the common man in his locality and to ensure efficiency, transparency & reliability of such services at affordable costs to realise the basic needs of the common man.
Significantly large number of e-governance projects are under implementation and many are on the anvil which calls for deployment of manpowers with the skills necessary to implement an e-governance project from conceptualization to complete roll out stage. As per NeGP a large number of trained professionals are required to manage e-Governance projects in Government and Software Industry. Based on the recommendations of the Administrative Reforms Commission on promoting e-Governance, Kerala State Government has proposed Capacity Building at the individual level by starting a Diploma / Degree programme on e-Governance.
One-year full-time post Graduate Program in e-Governance offered by the Indian Institute of Information Technology & Management -Kerala (IIITM-K) and the Institute of Management in Government (IMG), aims at high standards in Information Technology, Management and Governance. The programme focuses on capacity building in e-Governance through developing foundations in IT, Management, Government Process Reengineering and Change Management.
Entry-level requirement for the programme is a Bachelors degree in any discipline with working knowledge of computer systems. Diploma / Certification in computer application will be an added advantage. Preference will be given to B.Tech / MBA / MCA degree holders.
- Generating human resources with the right skills, knowledge, aptitude and leadership qualities for effective implementation of e-Governance Projects.
- Conceptualisation of ideas and development of service delivery models for improving the quality of service to citizen.
- To broaden the scope of e-Governance in the State through various sectors and services.
- To enhance the effectiveness of the e-Governance programmes by integrating state-of-the-art technologies and management.
Salient Features of the Programme:
- Curriculum is designed carefully by eminent academicians, senior officials from Government and IT industry, covering basic and advanced levels of relevant fields.
- Faculty members are drawn from leading organizations and academic institutions, who are experts in the subject.
- Study trips for the participants to familiarise with e-Governance projects.
- Opportunity to study mission mode e-Governance projects.
- Supported with Learning Management System, Digital Library, Multimedia based video lectures, and other collaboration tools to enhance the quality of teaching and learning.
- Training is held in IIITM-K and Government's Training agency IMG that allows participants to interact with IT professionals and Government Officials.
- Students provided with 24x 7 lab with high-end network, high speed internet and software services
The programme fee is Rs. 75,000/-. For open candidates this has to be paid in two installments of Rs. 50,000 at the time of admission and Rs. 25,000 in the second semester. There is also a refundable caution deposit of Rs 5000/-.
Demand Draft for Rs. 250/- for General Category Candidates and Rs. 100/- for SC/ST Category (non-refundable) drawn in favour of Director, IIITM-K, payable at Thiruvananhapuram. All category of applicants need to pay the fee.
Eligible candidates from open category are selected through all India competitive entrance examination. The online test for this year will be held on June 02, 2013 and it will be conducted at centres in Bhubaneshwar, Calicut, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Manipur, Patna, Srinagar and Thiruvananthapuram. The test will be of one hour duration consisting of 60 objective type questions on General Knowledge, General Science, Mathematics, English and Reasoning and Fundamentals of Computer.
- Sponsored Candidates from Central Govt, other State Govt, public sector undertakings or private organizations are first short listed based on their profiles and final selection is made through interview, which is scheduled on June 13, 2013 at IIITM-K, Technopark, Trivandrum.
- Government of Kerala sponsored candidates
Head of Departments of Government of Kerala are requested to forward a list of nominated candidates with their resume, Non Objection Certificate and testimonials on or before 20-05-13 to Director, Kerala State IT Mission, ICT Campus, Vellayambalam, Thiruvananthapuram. Phone: 0471-2726881, 2314303. Fax: 2314284.
- Department shall nominate 2 officers for the year 2013-14.
- While granting NOC, the department would also consent that the said employee would be deputed for one year for the purpose of the said course in case he/she is selected.
- Specify the criteria for the selection of candidate(s).
- Specify the role to be assigned / project to be assigned to the candidate(s) on successful completion of the course.
An undertaking from Head of Departments that service of employees who complete the course will be fully utilized in an effective manner for e-Governance projects of their departments / projects.
Number of Seats :
The total intake of the programme is 45 of which 20 are from open quota, 15 are reserved for Kerala Government officials and 10 for sponsored candidates. Under sponsored category Central Govt officials, other State Govt officials, public sector undertakings and private organizations could sponsor their employees through proper channel.
SC/ST students admitted to PGDeG are offered scholarships by Govt. of Kerala .
For More Information Contact - +91 9744141350
- Course Duration and credits
The course will be for a period of one year with two semesters.Collaborating Departments/institution
Indian Institute of Information Technology & Management- Kerala (IIITM-K) and Institute of Management in Government (IMG) are jointly offering one-year full-time Post Graduate Diploma in e-Governance. The Government of Kerala proposed this programme based on the recommendations of the Administrative Reforms Commission, to produce trained professionals to implement and manage e-Governance projects in a disciplined manner. The programme focuses on capacity building in e-Governance through developing foundations in IT, Management, Government Process Reengineering and Change Management
- Number of seats
The number of seats for the program is 45.