Recognitions and Awards
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Outreach International Fellowhip for Machine Intelligence.
- eWorld 2011- IIITM-K received the Best Jury Award for Cloud Computing Initiative in recognition of successfully setting up a “Cloud Computing Testbed for Kerala State Data Centre”
- Awarded Regional SUN Centre of Excellence in e Learning with the vision “educate, Empower Enable Every Citizen through Knowledge”. The first COE selected in INDIA, IIITM-K joined an elite group of only four universities worldwide.
- UNESCO Recognition to IIITM-K Digital Library, IIITM-K is the first Library in Kerala to become member in IATUL and 14th member in the Country.
- KISSAN KERALA “Honourable Mention” in the Prestigious Global Stockholm Challenge Awards 2010 in the category of ICT initiatives
- KISSAN- Kerala bagged National Award “e-India 2009” for the best “ICT enabled agricultural initiative of the year 2009”.
- IIITM-K bagged the Kerala E-Governance Awards- 2008 for its innovative Web-driven KISSAN initiative.
- South Asian Manthan Award – 2008 for KISSAN Kerala Project for best digital content and multimodal approach on E-education in the farming sector in Kerala.
- Manthan Award – 2007 for Education Grid Project initiative under the category of Best e-Content in the e-Education category.
- PC Quest best IT implementation Award for Education Grid in 2005.
- Manthan Award for City Police Portal – 2005-for Best e-Governance for Community Interaction Portal.
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Govt. of India has recognized IIITM-K as a leading technology institute for undertaking various potential research oriented Agri-Informatics activities of the institute.
- Department of Information Technology (DIT), Govt. of India has assigned IIITM-K with the task of developing and implementing various research and academic programs in Information Security.
- UNESCO Post Doctoral Fellowship has been awarded to IIITM-K Faculty for his concept on ‘Global Biodiversity Hotspots’. IIITM-K is a member of the International Steering Committee of ISIS, (ICCI) constituted by UNESCO, Paris. This Steering committee accredited by UNESCO, will assist and collaborate with BIREME, UNESCO and the ISIS Software Developers, user community etc.
- IIITM-K SAML project bagged Kerala e-Governance Award (2011-13) under e-Learning category (Second prize)
The institute has been a pioneer in conceptualizing, developing, implementing, commissioning and servicing some of country’s well recognized IT initiatives in Education, Agriculture and E-Governance applications and its services. Thus it has already established linkages with the scientific and academic community. Being situated in the Technopark campus, IIITM-K has also linkages with the IT industry and some of the visiting faculty are drawn from among the IT professionals working in the companies of Technopark. The institute has been working on several advanced research oriented projects on applied informatics areas and developed several such advanced information systems for various domains. Some of the major collaborations on education and research are summarized below.
- EURECA (European Union Research and Education Collaboration with ASIA)- mobility for research/projects for Faculty and Students at UK Universities, which include York University, UK, L’aquilla University, Italy, VU University, Netherlands, Malardalen University, Sweden.
- STUTTGART University, Germany – to work together in research and teaching areas of Eco informatics and allied areas.
- Hochschule Offenburg University of Applied Sciences (HSO) for establishing international collaborative research programmes, and joint academic programmes in fields related to Embedded Systems and VLSI, Machine Intelligence, and other general areas of Computer Science and Engineering.
- University of Salamanca, Spain (MoU is in the final stage) for mobility programs (for researchers, teaching staff and students), joint publications, implementation of research projects, creation and organisation of coordinated teaching activities and organisation of international colloquia.
Industry and Government Collaborations
- Corporate entities like IBM, TCS, Intel, Sun (Now Oracle), GE have associated with IIITM-K through University relations/Research programs.
- Multiple Research projects from Central Government agencies such as DeitY, DST ,etc.. and State Govt. Agencies such as KSCSTE.
- Multi Crore Projects including Start-Up Village, sanctioned by DeITY, Govt. of India.
- IIITM-K has been collaborating with Kerala Agricultural University for the implementation of a project on Virtual University for Agricultural Trade (VUAT) project of Government of Kerala which is a consortium of state and central agencies as per the recommendations of the Commission on WTO Concerns in Agriculture headed by Prof. M.S. Swaminathan. E-Krishi is a collaborative project between IIITMK and IT Mission Kerala funded by UNDP. IIITMK is the technology and management service provider to the project. The objective of the project is to provide a common platform for farmers or agriculture producers to advertise their produces and buyers to post their requirements.
- Department of Information Technology (DIT), Govt. of India has assigned IIITM-K with the task of developing and implementing various research and academic programs in Information Security. It includes, (1) Developing a curriculum on Introduction to Information Security, (2) Various training programs for system administrators and professionals. (3)Train Government Officers – Center and State, on Information Security issues i.e. computer networking, cyber hygiene, data security etc., (4) Bring Information Security Awareness in the country and (5) Start Education Exchange Programme.
- IIITMK has joined hands with the Indian Institute of Science, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing and the French Institute of Pondicherry for establishing a “School of Eco-informatics” at IIITMK. An advisory group has been formed with eminent persons drawn from JNU, IISc. IIRS, FRP, TBGRI, with Vice Chairman Planning Board, Kerala as Chairman of the Group to take the initiative forward.
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Govt. of India has recognized IIITM-K as a leading technology institute for undertaking various potential research oriented Agri-Informatics activities of the institute. ICAR has invited IIITM-K as a major technology partner to develop and implement various agricultural information systems under National Agricultural innovation Project (NAIP). IIITM-Kerala is one of the collaborating institutes along with IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Bombay, NAARM, GBPUAT, UASDharwad, and ICRISAT to implement this project in the country. The objective of the project is to build, demonstrate and sustain a model agricultural knowledge organization and system in support of extension in India. The project is expected to result in significant enhancement of capacity among agricultural experts at various levels in the refinement and management of new knowledge flows and platforms.
- IIITM-K is a partner for the INDIAN LANGUAGE CONSORTIA INITIATIVE (ILCI) by Department of Information Technology, Government of India. The project involves building annotated parallel corpora with standards and tools for 12 major Indian Languages including English, 8 Indo-Aryan languages (Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Bangla, Oriya, Gujrati, Marathi and Konkani) and 3 Dravidian languages (Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam) in the domain of tourism and health. IIITM-K is assigned for the work of Malayalam Language and other 10 centres involved are JNU for overall coordination, ISI Kolkata, Utkal University-Orissa, IIT Mumbai, Gujarat University- Ahemedbad, Goa University, Dravidian University-AP, Tamil University-TN and Punjab University. This would benefit the state and the country for developing number of Natural Language Processing (NLP) application and also to prepare the corpora for ready-to use form for Malayalam Dictionary, Thesaurus, Grammar Checking, Annotation, tagging and parsing, Malayalam Editors, and Browsers.
- IIITM-K is the official technology partner in implementing various ICT oriented information systems and solutions to Department of Agriculture, Government of Kerala. The Department has assigned IIITM-K for the development and implementation of Karshaka Information Systems, Services and Networking (KISSAN Kerala) project in the entire state. KISSAN is an integrated, multi-modal ICT oriented agricultural information system, conceived, developed and managed by IIITM-K for the Department of Agriculture, Govt. of Kerala. This is the first project in the country where the multi-modal delivery of agriculture information services through interactive portal, television, mobile and telephonic advisory services for the farming community. This project has won several regional and national awards for its unique architecture and service delivery.
International Conferences/Symposiums Organised
- Twelfth International Conference on Natural Language Processing (ICON-2015), December 11-14, 2015.
- IEEE International Conference on Computing and Network Communications (CoCoNet’15), December 16-19, 2015
- Second International Symposium on Signal Processing and Intelligent Recognition Systems (SIRS’15), December 16-19, 2015
- First International Symposium on Signal Processing and Intelligent Recognition Systems (SIRS-2014), March 13-15, 2014
- Second International Conference on Security in Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (SNDS-2014), March 13-14, 2014
- First International Conference on Security in Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (SNDS’12), October 11-12, 2012
- Second World Congress on Information and Communication Technologies (WICT 2012), Oct. 30-31, Nov. 1-2, 2012